Monday, November 9, 2009

Welcome to my Blog!

Welcome! I am a grandmother of a special needs child and it is from that perspective that I will share my thoughts, opinions and resources with you. I will make every attempt to remain a neutral and unbiased party to the actual parenting of these special children and do not intend to be intrusive in that regard. I want to encourage grandparents to become involved when needs arise.

In the course of my involvement with my granddaughter, Aimee, age 12, I have met and talked with many parents and grandparents of children with varying disabilities and special needs. Many, if not, most, of these parents have expressed their dismay at the lack of support and participation; perhaps even fear that their own parents have displayed in regard to their grandchildren. Has this happened to you?

I’m not ashamed to say that I felt that fear too…in the beginning. I had no idea at that time what my involvement would be or where it would take me. I had no idea how special a girl Aimee would be in my life or how that relationship would overflow into writing a book and advocating for children like her. What I did know was that I loved her and wanted to help her parents provide her with the best quality of life possible. I also know that there are many grandparents like me who have helped immensely. If you are one, I’d like to hear from you too.

My mission is to encourage and inspire grandparents and extended family members to become involved in the lives of these deserving children. This blog will provide everyone with a sounding board and an opportunity to share problems, frustrations, solutions resources and successes with others in similar situations. Together we can make a difference for the children we love.

What is your experience?


Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment